Thursday 6 May 2010

Never ever slow play AA

Just when I turned everything around BANG it was gone.

Felt a tad better with a small helping of food and later on in the night felt up to opening x6 cash tables. Moving along nicely and was pretty chuffed that I already turned a profit of 1.5 buy ins in less than 200 hands.
This was down to being dealt AA about 5 times on the same table when I have raised it, and got 1 caller only for them to fold on the flop.
So yet again I get AA in the BB this time and its raised UTG +1 to 4.5 BB and folded round to me. Stats show him pretty tightish but not many hands on him. So with me not making money and slightly pissed off with no customers on the previous AA's I elect to call for a change. The flop comes down A 7 J with 2 diamonds. So like I said I wanted to get paid, after all I have the nuts on the flop, and unless hes holding AK diamonds I am pretty safe so I check and he pot bets. Ok now I am thinking hes not afraid of the Ace, maybe hes hit a set of Jacks which yeah was a possiblity, so I elect to call. Turn brings the 3rd diamond and again I check, still convinced hes got set Jacks now, and again he pot bets it. I think ok enough is enough, I am sure if he had the nuts on the turn he would of slowed down and want to get paid, so I ruled out AK diamonds so I then shove and he instant calls and shows Q 10 diamonds. The board doesnt pair and boom buy in down the pan.
Its just frustrating and I know people reading this will say you should never slow play etc etc. But I was getting sick of not reaping the rewards from top hands.
I know if I 3 bet pre he would of prob folded, and again I would of felt I let a chance go. So is there a lesson to be learnt? I still dont know, I tried something different and it caught me, but is it going to catch me the next time I try it...... Maybe I was just unfortunate with the hand........ Anyways reloaded and carried on.
Infact I never recovered and I lost more and more, only little bits to rivered 2 pairs to 4 to straight on the board when your holding a set and flushed. Which brings me to the next hand.

Im in the SB with 7 4 diamonds and its been limped round 4 callers and I make up and the BB checks. Flop comes J 6 8 all diamonds happy days....... No messing pot bet out because I am sure someone will have the Ace, so have to make then pay, and of course I have gutshot Straight Flush draw. Button raises which then got me thinking I know where the ace is now. I call just incase the another diamond turns up and I can let it go, or if the board pairs again I know I can get away from it. Turn is a blank and I check and again he 3/4 bets the pot and again I call it. I did think about shoving at this point, but I had built my stack up on this table and didnt want to over commit just incase for the reasons given, but it was also coming to my mind he might of flopped a flush. Anyways the river is a blank as well so with no paired board and no 4th Diamond, the only hand I am losing to is another flush. Just incase, I check again going for check call, happy with whats in the pot. He then pots it again, so left with 2 choices, now hes bluffing with the missed ace or hes got the flush. I ponder, sigh because I do think I am beat or is he really that strong. I hit the call button which is what I was going to do, and he flopped the nuts AQ diamonds. Lost a chunk of cash which I had built up but still added up to almost a buy in.
Again I look back and think did I play it right, well I must of done because I didnt want to get greedy, which would of resulted in going broke. But the fact he limped on the button with AQ suited got me. If I checked the flop would he have slow played it a bit..... Again I dont know. But I bet out not thinking someone actually flopped the nuts, which then convinced me he was chasing the 4th Diamond with the strong bets.
I made some back in a silly pot, but I was a bit tilting, and thought bollox to it. I had someone shove after a flop of J high and me holding QQ with only 55c in the pot with no flush or straight draws. He shoves for like €4.40 I called expecting to see anything really. But he flipped A4 off for nothing, and I take it.

Told ya some weird people play some hands strange, although I am still stat building and note taking I know its times like this which make me want to take a break. But if I do I could be losing out on some decent cash, if of course I dont hang myself in the first place. I am also aware Jesus Ferguson did not run good all the time, he got is money in good and took the chance which I tend to do at times, but I also tend to air a bit of caution at the same time. This is not a sprint its is a marathon and I think but not 100% that it took him 18 months to complete his. He also had a slightly different set of rules for him to progress. More so he was allowed to buy into any cash game with 5% of his role which is a lot really thinking about it, its only 20 Buy ins at the level he was playing, and for a decent bankroll its suggested nothing less than 50 Buy ins at the level your bankrolled for. Were mine is 1%. Also he was able to buy into any tournament for 2% of his Bankroll, again its suggested 1% to withstand the variance side of things. With that he also had a 5% buy in for any sit n go, which is very large considering again the Variance side of things.
Maybe mine is a bit small on the STT and could up to 2% max, but quite happy with the current 1% I abide to.
I have tried a couple of STT later in the evenings, just to see if they are worth it, and maybe too tired to really get a grip, but lost a couple heads up, but was only playing 5 handed.

But the challenge continues, and after reading Jesus Fergusons tips on a bankroll challenge I feel ok with what I am doing, although it is 3 losing days playing in a row, but again considering what I have done tonight I should be down a hell of a lot more.

So the figures for tonight are :- played 691 hands in 3hrs and was down €3.87 which gives me a loss of €3.98 for May having played a total of 2753 hands. The only winner seems to be the rake which is €14.06 for May......

No comments:

Post a Comment